life is beautiful

Friday, May 16, 2003

This will never be as good as the first. Anyway. Hello my very own blogger. As this was an impulse thing I have nothing planned to say and starting this just before the middle of my life threatening exams is not a good plan but perhaps it will prove to be a mindless piece of escapism. For any strangers (though I’m not expecting strangers to read this) a quick introduction:
Name: Emily
Address: Not telling you
That’s enough now on to the writing.
It’s night time. Justifiably by now I think, as it’s now 20 past 11. When I started the first version it was ten to. I can never work out when night starts and ends as if guests come over ‘for the evening’ they can stay tilll at least ten or eleven o clock pm. But doesn’t the morning start after midnight as in 1am? I hope so as starting the day in the night seems a strangely depressing metaphor.

But then again I do love night. Twilight in particular as it is the time when it is dark enough to render familiar landscapes almost unrecognisable but not too dark to see. The nicest time is when it’s just dusk and the dew is starting to form on the grass and it sticks to your socks.
Last week I had a really lovely evening out in the rain. First I will set the scene: I live in the country, over the road from our field. It has a baby orchard and teenage forest as well as a resident forest that has been there for many years and runs alongside the river bran, but never wins. The bran is quite big and is always changing, almost from day to day.

Anyway that day I was walking around and getting very wet in the rain and it was a really gorgeous feeling. It was only just raining but not too little to be called drizzle which I feel is a sort of onomatopea, as drizzle is so weak and frankly pointless. It won’t get you suitably wet but is not dry. Everything was green, even the air and the birds were happily swearing at each other in the trees. The trees were also raining but were doing it in the way that trees usually do which makes them seem a bit slower than the rain as they drop their collected water in chinks. They seem to have missed the idea that rain is supposed to fall evenly and try to do it in the most conservative and energy and time saving way possible by dropping large drops with lots of water in in one place. This means that the drip spends as little time in the air as possible. Very logical, but then I’ve always said that about trees, they’re very logical but have no sense of romance. Which is odd since so many of them live in such close-knit communities.

Also have you noticed how rain only feels really cold when you go inside into the warm houses. We are so lucky now that we have the benefit of warm houses and appliances that tell us how bad nature is and that we do not need it. Nuts to them, as they say.
The spring is a really lovely time of year I think and when I die I’d like it to be in the spring if possible as there is so much new life around. I actually prefer the autumn but that’s just me and my rain obsession I think. I like it a lot. Unnaturally I think as most people seem to hate it and can get depressed but I think we all need a good flood now and then. Within reason of course. As long as you can control it it’s ok but if you let it get out of control it can cost you £thousands a day, so just be careful you don’t get addicted. Perhaps I’ll rant about autumn some other time. It’s now half eleven and I’ll have to spell check this before posting it.

I’m afraid not all my posts will be as interesting or imaginative as this, mostly as 1. I have little time at the moment and 2. I am rarely in a creative mood. Just for a little publicity in a new blogger please go to: www.phpbb.uklinux.net/phpBB2
www.welcometothedesertofthereal.blogspot.com and www.childsend.blogspot.com
well, if you want to. The first is the most understandable I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home